Jeg Coughlin Jr., and MOPAR announced that the drag racer would campaign in a Dodge Avenger for the 2012 seanson. At 40 years of age, Coughlin has added plenty to his family’s legacy during his illustrious career. In addition to winning the Pro Stock championship four times, Coughlin has raced his way into the top 10 of the NHRA’s career victories list with 67 national event wins.
Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar Brand – Chrysler Group LLC, hosted the 2011 SEMA show Mopar press conference and delivered the thrilling news that Jeg Coughlin Jr. is to compete under the Mopar banner in the NHRA Pro Stock Class in 2012.
“Jeg Jr. is a proven winner, with four Pro Stock championships on his résumé,” said Gorlier “We are thrilled to add an elite driver to Team Mopar, and we look forward to sharing in his great success at the drag strip next season.”
“I’m extremely excited to join forces with Mopar in 2012,” said Jeg Jr., the only racer in the history of the NHRA to win a national event in six different classes. “The entire Coughlin Brothers Racing team has high expectations for the 2012 season and we expect to field a premier program with our Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge Avenger team, from top to bottom.”
His victory in the Super Comp class at the ’11 JEGS Pacific SPORTSnationals made him the first driver in NHRA history with national event wins in six categories: Pro Stock, Competition Eliminator, Top Dragster, Super Gas, Super Stock and Super Comp.
He’s also the only drag racer to win national events in four separate categories in the same season — Super Stock, Super Gas, Comp, and Pro Stock — a feat he accomplished in 1997.
Even while sitting out the pro ranks in 2011, Coughlin still found success in a JEGS-liveried race car. In addition to the Super Comp victory at the SPORTSnationals, Coughlin won six high-paying bracket races: Three wins in Edgewater, two in Bowling Green and one win in Belle Rose.
But Coughlin’s success in 2011 should come as no surprise. He’s been a winner all his life.
From his first victory at his home track of National Trail Raceway when he was just 20 years old, to his initial world championship in the Super Gas ranks two years later, on through to his four stints at the top of the Pro Stock class following title-winning seasons in 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2008, Coughlin has accomplished everything he set out to do and more.
With support from his legendary father Jeg Coughlin Sr., his wife Samantha, brothers John, Troy, and Mike, 2012 should be another banner year for the man many point to as the best pure drag racer in the sport.
Jeg Coughlin Jr. will join veteran racer Allen Johnson as the only two drivers in the Pro Stock class directly sponsored by Mopar.
• Only driver in the 60 years of the sport’s existence to win in six different categories
• Four-time Full Throttle Pro Stock world champion (2000, 2002, 2007,2008)
• Sportsman world champion in Super Gas category (1992)
• NHRA Rookie of the Year (1998)
• Became 10th driver in NHRA’s 58-year history to win 50 national events (2007)
• Three-time winner of K&N Filters Horsepower Challenge (1999, 2000, 2009)
• Only driver in history to win national events in four categories in one season —
Pro Stock, Super Stock, Competition, and Super Gas (1997)
• Four-time NHRA Division 3 champion (Super Gas, 1992; Super Stock, 1994; Competition and Super Stock, 1997)
• Moroso 5-Day Champion (Super Pro, 2003)
• Two-time Hemi Shootout winner (Indianapolis, 2004; and Las Vegas, 2006)
• Married to Super Comp racer Samantha Kenny
• Son Jeg III
• Works in family owned business, JEGS Automotive/JEGS Mail Order.
• Is the youngest of the four Coughlin brothers.
• John can be found racing in Top Dragster and helping with his son Cody’s circle track effort. Brother Troy races in Pro Mod. Mike races in Top Sportsman. Nephew Troy Jr competes in Super Comp and can be spotted bracket racing.
• Enjoys spending time with family, golfing, motocross, karting and bracket racing.